If you ever run into a person in the street or in any walk of your life who tells you that talking about football this time of the year is nonsense just walk away and let them be, because they clearly do not know what they are talking about. Yes, the Super Bowl is behind us and the new season is nowhere near but that doesn’t mean we can’t talk about what all the teams in the league need with the upcoming draft. The annual NFL Combine is well underway in Indianapolis and with most of the top college football prospects showing their skills for all of the NFL teams it’s time to talk about who needs what in the AFC and who could be a good pick.
• New England Patriots: Should the Patriots consider looking into drafting a QB, either in case Brady does finally decide to leave or just to have him prep his successor? I think so, but Tight End should be their first focus and who better than the formers Patriots stud Randy Moss’ son Thaddeus Moss. Like father, like son case? If Moss is not there for when the Patriots are on the clock they could always just go with Daytona’s Adam Trautman who could perfectly well become a pleasantly good sleeper surprise.
• New York Jets: Please, please, please Jets, get Darnold some proper coverage. After making sure Jamal Adams gets his well-deserved pay day and keep LeVeon Bell, pass protection is key, Tristan Wirfs from Iowa and Andrew Thomas from Georgia sound like top picks. Apart from that getting a WR in case Robbie Anderson leaves and one or two cornerbacks should be key here.
• Miami Dolphins: With the Dolphins you could make a case that all positions need help and you probably wouldn’t even do it justice but let’s talk the real deal, QB’s. Rosen is a bust until proven otherwise, Fitzpatrick will one day have to retire, so please Dolphins get a new QB either Tua Tagovailoa or Justin Herbert but yes please pick a QB.
• Buffalo Bills: Yo Bills, here’s a tip, having a guy like Josh Allen is great, giving him better weapons at WR would make him even better. Henry Ruggs III or Tee Higgins would be great fits.
• Baltimore Ravens: What can a team with Lamar Jackson need to improve. How about a little help in their pass rushing department? My top prospect here is Iowa’s A.J. Epenesa, if the Ravens are lucky to find him so far down the list in the first round they’d be stupid not to take him.
• Pittsburgh Steelers: Man the Steelers should think about getting a top backup for all of their key positions but the one they need the most this year is Tight End. Injuries have hit the Steelers hard in the TE department so finding a good TE should be priority.
• Cincinnati Bengals: Man oh man, no questions, no doubts, Joe Burrow will be the next quarterback of the Bengals and that’s that.
• Cleveland Browns: The Browns need many things but pass protection is top here and with a solid No. 10 pick, targeting Alabama’s Jedrick Wills Jr. should be on the top of their list.
• Houston Texans: QB? No they’re good. Defense? Yeah they could always use a little help. WR? With Hopkins, nah, they’re good. A solid running back is what Texas need especially since Hyde and Miller are both hitting the free agent market!
• Indianapolis Colts: With Luck gone and Brissett not being a true option for the future the Colts will be out in the hunt for their new franchise QB. With Burrow gone fast and Tagovailoa too, guys like Justin Herbert and Jordan Love sound like great options.
• Jacksonville Jaguars: The Jaguars who have become known as a team with a very solid defensive core sucked at pass rushing last year so defensive tackle is a definite must. Derrick Brown should be their top target to fill the void.
• Tennessee Titans: Offensively speaking the Titans are set and good for the upcoming season with Tannehill and Henry leading the pack. On the defensive side a little help could do some good so signing a pass rusher instead of going for a veteran player might do the trick for them.
• Los Angeles Chargers: I thought I would never see the day for this to happen but Phillip Rivers is leaving the Chargers and it’s finally time to move on. With that in mind I can totally see Justin Herbert being the new face of the Chargers moving on.
• Los Angeles Raiders: Apparently there’s a talk about how Tom Brady could move to Las Vegas and play the last stint of his career with the Raiders. I call BS but if that was an actual thing then the Raiders need to improve their receiver core and with a 2020 draft class full of receiving talent and two first round picks they should target trying to get Lamb or Jeudy.
• Denver Broncos: With Chris Harris Jr. basically ready to leave Denver, the Broncos will be in the lookout for a new top slate corner back because both Callahan and Bausby are nowhere near to be ready for a starting job with the Broncos.
• Kansas City Chiefs: With the last pick of the 2020 draft first round the Super Bowl Champions KC Chiefs should target a cornerback to be able to solidify the one spot on their defensive core that is looking blander and blander. They don’t need that much to improve so a steady cornerback should be their top concern.